For the Analyse Webserver Logfile Application (AWL) I wanted to show better information instead of just the Useragent String, because they are a mess and contain confusing information.
As an example look at this Useragent String: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.109 Safari/537.36
I rather would want to show it like this: Chrome (59) OS X
For my little Webserver Logfile Analysis project I had to solve the problem of how to stream data from a flat file into a relational datamodel in my target database.
Since I used NodeJS in several projects over the past years, it came to my mind at first. On a second thought and by consulting some friends another, easier, solution materialized:
Recently I wanted to set up better monitoring for our several FOEX webservers and decided not to use an off-the-shelf solution, since I wanted to have the analysis results in my Oracle Database, ready to be used by whatever internal tools we have.
Last year was very eventful at FOEX, which kept me occupied and kept me from blogging. Thankfully I managed to attend a few conferences and stay in touch with the community through Twitter and Slack on apex.world.
FOEX is growing a lot and needed a new website design, so we had a brainstorming meeting and decided to again build it in APEX.
Last week we finally decided everything for the website was ready (as much as possible) and we released it. Please go to www.tryfoexnow.com and tell me if you like it.
In this post I want to give some background info how we built it and why we decided to do it this way.